7 Ways to Find Connection in a Crazy World!
by Teri Jo Wheeler on 12/08/15
It's crazy out there! Mass shootings, terrorism, insane politicians, religious bashing, racism, hate crimes, broken homes, intense fighting and more. While some say this is one of the least violent times in history, the agenda-driven media and our ability to catch news worldwide can lead us to believe that the world is coming to an end.
And... it is.
The material world as we know it - institutions, structures and systems built on limiting beliefs and debilitating practices of corporate greed, political corruption and patriarchal oppression are crumbling right before our eyes. These are the necessary labor pains and breakdowns before we can birth and rebuild the better world our hearts know is possible.
But, rest assured it is coming.
And, like it or not, we must change.
Here are 7 ways to find Connection in these crazy times:
1) Go back to basics - Unplug to reboot. Plug back into yourself and the simplicity of life again. Make the bed, wash your face, cook a meal, stretch, cuddle by the fire, meet a friend for a leisurely lunch, dance in the rain. Breathe. There is no urgency in Spirit. The frantic frenzy we have created through addictions to screens and information can be unraveled in a bubble bath or a walk around the lake.
2) Allow the breakdown - Aren't you tired of holding it all together? Looking like you know what you're doing? Pretending everything is fine? It's not healthy for us to live in denial and distraction anymore. It takes tremendous energy to keep the darkness at bay. We are in the thick of winter in more ways than one. Allow the grieving, the messiness, let the falling apart happen. Fall to your knees and beg for Grace and watch as she comes and kisses your sweet face.
3) Invite a Terrorist in for tea - Yes, you heard me right. I am speaking of course of your own inner terrorist. You know the one who continually finds stuff wrong with you and the world. The one who curses and condemns you, who calls you stupid and lazy, a useless waste of skin. Maybe it's more subtle talk - like how you will never be pretty enough, successful, rich or thin. Now is the time to be extra kind and gentle with yourself. The world is rough out there. The rumble is real. Right now, my room is a mess. My sleep patterns erratic. My addictions on high alert. I deeply feel what's going on and can find myself in overwhelm and sad. The last thing I need to do is go against myself when I need understanding and compassion the most. Bring loving kindness and positive self-talk to the places inside that are hurting. Mother and Father yourself in a Divine Parent sort of way (hint: with unconditional loving and endless patience). It makes a big difference to be united inside first. The outside has a way of taking care of itself when we focus on the battles going on inside and find peaceful reSOULution.
4) Try on a SOUL perspective - What if we chose to come here, right here and right now, in this time of history on planet earth? What if we brought with us - through our beauty, our courage, our creative genius, our powerful voice - one important peace to putting together the new and improved 'life on earth' puzzle? Regardless of your religious or spiritual belief systems, making the CHOICE to be here empowers you to be the hero of your own part of the story which then enables you to be and do the things you came to be and do. Choose to be a fountain, not a drain.
5) Find ways to share loving - Our greatest joy is in being used for the greater good. The more we give, the more we have to give. You have much to offer this world in need - a helping hand, a smile, a compliment, a listening ear, an idea, a poem, rescuing a kitten, hugging, holding space, donating money, feeding the homeless, planting a tree. There are a gazillion ways to give. Pick one and watch your heart expand. We wither and rot when we keep our gifts and good fortune to ourselves. This new world we are creating is based on caring and sharing, being true and kind, connecting and expanding into the whole and complete Loving we already are. We are awakening to the memory of our Authentic and Ever-Giving nature. There is more than enough. You are more than enough.
6) Forgive Friends and Family - We need each other now more than ever. Make amends, reach out, extend the olive branch. This requires great bravery for some people are still stuck in the old paradigm and may be unable to see or embrace the Light or your loving. Do your best to find compassion and forgiveness for all who have hurt you, including yourself. We are each doing our best given our pain, defenses and lack of understanding/awareness at the time.
7) Remember, this too shall pass - Staying present moment to moment invites a peaceful calm. Life is meant to be lived in the now. The mind wants a long-range plan, safety, security, and to know we will be okay. It's an understandable request. But now is a time of great uncertainty and change. The more we can be present and are able to pause, the better we can see what's needed and be of service, which then elicits deeper connection, peace and love.
Practice any or all of these to your best ability and watch the new world be born. As within, so without. As above, so below. Heaven is at hand now. Keep loving.